Though I’ve learned a lot through experience, I’m inspired by those that have paved the way. Here’s a list of some reading and resources that I find helpful.
Want to be a Product Manager? Read these.
- Product Strategy Means Saying No
- The pyramid model & what it means for PM focus
- What Is A Product Manager? A Primer For Aspiring Or Junior PMs
- We are Product Managers
- 42 Rules to Lead by from the Man Who Defined Google’s Product Strategy
- A Product Manager’s Job
- Be a great product leader
- Good Product Manager, Bad Product Manager
- How to hire a product manager
- What distinguishes the top 1% of product managers from the top 10%
- 48 Articles and Books that will Make you a Great Product Manager
- 20 Product Prioritization Techniques
Books That Have Changed The Way I Think
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz
- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- Hooked: How to Build Habit Forming Products by Nir Eyal
- Metrics Driven Design
- 3 Rules to Actionable Metrics
- Startup Metrics for Pirates
- Lean Analytics - This is a great book on using data to inform product decisionmaking.
- IA Ventures - IA Ventures has a fantastic list of budgets, board decks, investor update emails, etc. on their resource site. No need to reinvent the wheel - it’s easy to use this stuff.
- Guide to Picking Analytics Packages - pretty good guide from Forrester Research on how to pick an analytics package.
On Growth & Distribution
- Growth Hacking - Lean Marketing for Startups
- Startup = Growth
- Mobile App Distribution - this post by Semil Shah is awesome. Really comprehensive look at mobile app distribution and how to approach a mobile app launch.
- Blakemasters - Notes from Stanford’s CS183 taught by Peter Thiel
- The meanest thing Paul Graham said to a startup - A good little anecdote about the importance of being brutally honest at a startup.
- Romantic lies about passion and entrepreneurship - pretty personal take on some of the challenges of being a founder.
- The Science Behind How Super Connectors Scale Their Networks - a good piece that illustrates the power of networking and how to effectively build/activate a network.
- Startupery - Startup Best Practices
Design & Wireframing
- Responsive Resources - Incredibly thorough list of responsive web design resources.
- UX Equivalents for iOS 7,6, Android
- Pttrns - Great site for mobile UI examples
- Mobile Patterns
- PlaceIt - Awesome way to quickly get images for landing page using mockups
- Anatomy of a Perfect Landing Page
Landing a Job at a Startup
- Compensation @ Startups - Great resource put together by Homebrew that details how startups should think about compensation. Useful as an employee and as a startup management team.
- How to Find, Vet and Close the Best Product Managers - great resource from First Round Capital on hiring PMs.
Interesting Sites, Smart People, and Informative Newsletters
These are the sites, people and newsletters I rely on for great insight and ideas.